Investigative Reporters, multimedia story tellers
(Updated 6/3/2017) We're happy to report these positions have been filled.
Searchlight New Mexico - a new non-profit, non-partisan investigative reporting organization - is seeking senior investigative reporters to join a small dynamic team of experienced journalists addressing complex statewide problems in New Mexico. Specifically, we're looking for:
- An established investigative reporter of national caliber with a substantial body of outstanding published work including extended multi-part series on complex topics over a career of at least 8 years.
- An investigative reporter of substantial promise with 5 or more years of experience including a demonstrated ability to ferret out and analyze information and data, to interview a variety of individuals with diverse subjects and present a compelling narrative.
Necessary Experience & Skills:
- A strong sense of moral outrage and a belief that precise empirical reporting can help right wrongs.
- Demonstrated skill in interviewing (often by door stepping) a wide range of actors from different cultural backgrounds and presenting information in a clear vivid narrative form.
- Experience reporting on legislative and executive branches of state & local governments.
- Ability to organize data and systemically probe budget and other financial records.
- Independent work habits combined with a team orientation.
- Familiarity with use of state and federal public records laws.
- Experience reporting on non-profit organizations.
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Mastery of Spanish and/or extended residence in New Mexico or the West.
- Familiarity with Native American, Hispanic, Latino, Migrant and/or undocumented cultures.
- Experience working in a multi-media environment converting a series of print news stories into a series of television or radio scripts.
- Working knowledge of federal programs, regulatory law, and campaign finance.
- Photojournalism skills.
- Experience in investigation of the following subjects:
- Public corruption
- Child welfare
- State government and agencies
- Law Enforcement Agencies
- Energy policy and regulation at the state and local level
- Political candidates
- Experience with social media as both a reporting source and a communications device
Our team will be aided by an experienced data journalist who will not only maintain a robust website with a wide variety of local and state data, but will be an essential part of our effort to make every aspect of our stories more understandable by creatively presenting crisp, clear data in easily comprehended presentations
Searchlight is a well-funded start-up that believes in paying journalists what they deserve and in providing a fair benefits package. Talent and creativity will dictate hiring; we value all experience that shows commitment to a focused purpose. No candidate is too old or too young to apply. We’re located in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where culture, art and the outdoors come together in unmatched beauty.
Please submit an email with “Reporter” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to Scott@Informationtrust.org. Please attach: (1) a cover letter summarizing your experience and how soon you could take a position; (2) a full resume that covers your education and job experience to date; and (3) at least five samples of your strongest work.